As concepted by Chefs Eric Vollono, Amanda Butler and Roy Villacrusis at True Aussie's Chef Immersion in Chicago. Recipe has not been tested in our kitchens.
For the pickled shimeji mushrooms:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound shimeji mushrooms, tops only
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons dashi
1 tablespoon red mustard seeds
1 dried whole red chile pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped green shiso leaves
1 large seedless cucumber, brunoised
For the melted leeks:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound leeks, white and green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the sour cherry reduction:
2 cups sour cherry juice
For the frothed egg:
4 extra large pasteurized egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
5 ounces unsalted butter melted
For the crostini:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 french baguettes, cut into 72 1/2-inch slices
For the beef tartare:
3 pounds trimmed Australian Beef Tenderloin, finely chopped, chilled
1/4 cup gochujang
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 cups loosely packed Italian parsley leaves
For the Pickled Shimeji Mushrooms:
1. Heat oil in medium skillet on high heat. Add mushroom tops; cook 3-5 min. until softened and most liquid is evaporated.
2. Remove pan from heat; add vinegar, dashi, mustard seeds and chile. Cool mixture to room temperature; transfer to non-reactive container. Stir in shiso and cucumbers; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
For the Melted Leeks:
3. Heat oil and butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add leeks and salt; cook 2-3 min. until translucent.
4. Reduce heat to low; cover skillet with lid. Cook 30-35 min. stirring occasionally and adding additional olive oil as needed until leeks are very soft. Remove pan from heat; cool.
For the Sour Cherry Reduction
5. Heat sour cherry juice in small saucepan on medium heat until reduced by half. Cool and place in squeeze bottle; chill.
For the Frothed Egg
6. Place egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in blender jar or food processor. Blend on HIGH, 30 sec. or until smooth. Continue blending on HIGH, while slowly adding melted butter through feeder tube, 1 min. or until pale, foamy yellow mixture forms. Pass mixture through fine sieve; pour into ISI. Keep warm in bain-marie.
For the Crostini
7. Whisk 1/4 cup brine from pickled mushrooms with olive oil. Evenly brush bread slices with brine mixture.
8. Arrange on sheet pans; toast in 375F standard oven 10 to 12 min. or until golden brown.
For the Beef Tartare:
9. Combine tartare ingredients in large bowl until combined.
10. Season beef mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble and serve:
11. Spread 1 tablespoon melted leeks on base of plate. Fill ring mold with beef tartare; place on plate overlapping with melted leeks. Garnish with drained pickled mushrooms and cucumbers, cherry reduction, frothed egg and parsley leaves. Serve with 3 crostini slices.