For Australian Lamb Empanadas Filling
Australian ground lamb - 6 ozs.
yellow onion - 2 ozs., small diced
garlic - 1 tsp., fresh, minced
cilantro - 3 Tbsps., fresh, chopped
coriander - 1/4 tsp., ground
smoked paprika - 1/4 tsp.
cinnamon - 1 pinch, ground
cayenne pepper - 1 pinch
salt - to taste
pepper - to taste
extra-virgin olive oil - 2 Tbps., for cooking
3.5-inch prepared puff pastry rounds - 6 ea.
egg - 1 ea., beaten
whole milk - 1 tsp., combined for egg wash
For Tamarind Sauce:
seedless unsweetened tamarind paste - 1/4 cup
fresh orange juice - 1/4 cup
molasses - 1.5 ozs.
dried crushed red pepper - 1/4 tsp.
fresh lime juice - 1.5 Tbsps.
Ingredients for Harissa Yogurt Sauce:
Greek yogurt - 3 ozs.
harissa sauce - 3 tsp.
cumin, ground - pinch
white sugar - 1/4 tsp.
mint - 1/2 tsp., fresh, chiffonade
curry powder - 1/4 tsp.
salt - to taste
black pepper - to taste
For Pickled Vegetables:
small red radish - 1 ea.
jumbo asparagus - 2 ea., peeled
red onions - 2 ozs., julienne
For pickling liquid:
rice wine vinegar - 1/2 cup
water - 1/2 cup
salt - 1 tsp.
sugar - 2 Tbsps.
Procedure for Australian Lamb Empanadas Filling:
- On a medium sauté pan, add the extra virgin olive oil. Place saute pan on the stove and turn heat to medium.
- Add the ground lamb, and cook gently. Before it fully cook, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for an additional minute and a half.
- Add the cayenne pepper, cinnamon, coriander, and paprika. Combine well. Taste ground lamb mixture, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat. Add fresh cilantro, and fold until evenly combined into the lamb mixture.
- Pull away from the stove and place on a preparation table. Make sure to put over a towel or heat proof liner to prevent ruining your kitchen surface.
- Pull puff pastry from the refrigerator. Most puff pastries can be purchased as sheets. Place sheet on a cutting board.
- Get a cookie cutter ring roughly with a 3.5 to 4 inch diameter. Press on puff pastry to make puff pastry circles. Pull circles gently from the whole sheet and set aside on a cooking sheet or flat surface dish. Repeat five more times the process, until you get 6 circles.
- Grab a tablespoon (measuring spoon) if you do not have measuring spoons, a small spoon will work as well.
- With a small pastry brush, brush lightly egg wash over each of the pastry puff circles.
- With a tablespoon or small dessert spoon, fill with lamb filling and place in the middle of each puff pastry circle. You will need about 1.5 tablespoon per circle.
- With your hands, gently, fold round over the filling for each circle of dough. Pinch the edges with your fingers. Grab the fork and crimp the edges.
- Spray food coating spray over a heat proof cooking sheet and place the empanadas one inch apart. Brush the empanadas with egg wash.
Bake empanadas in a 375F degree pre heated oven for 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown.
- Pull empanadas from the oven and place the sheet of empanadas in a heat proof surface.
- Plate as desired: For this recipe, I paired the empanadas with a harissa yogurt, tamarind sauce, and pickled vegetables.
Procedure for Tamarind Sauce:
- Add all the ingredients into the sauce pan.
- Place pan on the stove and turn to medium heat.
- Mix all the ingredients with the spatula and bring the sauce to a hard simmer.
- Simmer sauce for a couple minutes or until it starts thickening.
- Turn off heat.
- Transfer sauce to a small bowl or container.
- Let it sit at room temperature.
Procedure for Harissa Yogurt Sauce:
- Add all the ingredients together into the mixing bowl, and combine well.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, and black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl/dish.
Procedure for Pickled Vegetables:
For the vegetables:
- Need Cutting board for this.
- Radishes: wash radish and pat dry. Thin slice radish with mandolin or with a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Asparagus: cut on a thin bias starting from the tip of the asparagus. Do not use the last inch and a half of the end of the asparagus. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Red onions: cut an onion into quarters. Wrap and refrigerate 3 of the quarters and keep one on cutting board. Thin slice onions into a julienne cut or thin strips. Transfer to a small bowl.
For the Pickling Mixture:
- In a quart sauce pan, add all the pickling liquid ingredients. Place on the stove and turn the heat to high. Bring liquid to a boil for a minute to two minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Pour hot liquid into each vegetable bowl until it covered the vegetables.